Beginner's Guide To Skincare - How To Build A Routine
Starting your skincare journey can be daunting at first. The series of ‘what ifs’, ‘how to start’ and ‘which products to use’ questions swarming in your head makes it even more overwhelming. In this article, I’ll hold your hand and walk you through each step and by the end, you’ll gain clarity on how to start, what clean, vegan and effective products to use and tips on staying consistent with your new skincare routine.
Every beginner in skincare needs one thing; Baby Steps. And you know how babies take their steps? With patience and consistency, never trying to stop learning how to walk. Before we get started, I want you to know that I’m proud of you for loving yourself enough to choose healthy skincare because skincare is self-love too! So, let’s get into it!
So What Is Skincare?
Skincare is the act of taking care of the largest organ of your body. With skincare, you assist the body in protecting and repairing the skin. But before you start your skincare journey, you need to know your skin type.
What Is Skin Type?
Skin type is determined mainly by genetics but could change due to environmental, lifestyle and even hormonal changes. Knowing your skin type helps you determine which product you need in your skincare routine and what ingredients to avoid.
To discover your skin type, think about how your body feels after a shower when you have no cream, body lotion or makeup on.
Here Is A Quick Test To Discover Your Skin Type.
- Wash your face with a gentle cleanser and pat it dry. Do not apply any skincare product.
- Wait about 30 minutes and examine your skin in the mirror. Is your skin shiny? Your skin is probably oily. If your skin feels tight and appears flaky, it is probably dry. If you see a mix of shiny skin and flakiness, you probably have combination skin.
Also, If your skin tends to get irritated easily if you use certain skincare products, you probably have sensitive skin. These are the basic skin types. Some people have acne-prone skin. Their skin is easily susceptible to acne. In most cases, it comes as combination skin types such as acne-prone sensitive skin, acne-prone dry skin or acne-prone oily skin.
Now that we’ve determined your skin type let’s talk about your skincare routine. You need a routine. A skincare routine will guide you in being consistent in your skincare journey and seeing adequate results. You need a morning and night routine.
Here's How To Layer Morning Routine Products And The Steps Involved As Well.
- First, cleanse your face and neck using the Nashé Beauty Prime The Glow Gentle Cleanser. This cleanser is gentle and removes all the dirt trapped in the skin.
- Rehydrate your skin using Soothe The Glow-Hydrating Toner to restore moisture back to the face.
- Apply the Nourish The Glow Anti-Wrinkle Serum. This serum hydrates and protects the skin’s moisture barrier reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and visibly reduces the look of ageing.
- Moisturize with Restore The Glow Day Cream which is a light non-greasy, anti-ageing moisturizer and hydrator that contains excellent moisturizing oils and extracts that deeply penetrate the skin to hydrate.
- Lock in this moisture with Chiso Face Glow Oil.
- Finally, Sunscreen. Never skip your SPF.
So let’s recap: Gentle cleanser > Hydrating toner > Serum > Moisturizer > Face oil > Sunscreen.
You don’t necessarily need to see a dermatologist to start a skincare routine, but if you have acne-prone skin, sensitive skin or any underlying skin issue. You’ll need to see a certified esthetician.
3 Tips For Staying Consistent With A Skincare Routine.
- Set A Reminder On Your Phone: Funny right? Setting a reminder on your phone will help you stay accountable on days you don’t feel like doing your skincare routine or those days you had a very long day at work and you just want to rush into bed and sleep off.
- Keep All Your Products And Tools In One Place: Trust me when I say organization improves one’s mental health. Always thinking of where you tossed that skincare product the last time you used it will get you exhausted and discouraged quickly. You’ll end up procrastinating finding it and never doing your skincare routine that day. And the cycle continues!
- Keep It Simple: If your skincare routine has tons of steps, you’ll get tired very quickly. Always keep it simple just like explained earlier.
Having a skincare routine and committing to it is not a herculean task if you make up your mind to be consistent and serious with it. Remember to use clean, vegan and cruelty-free skincare products to avoid damaging your skin. Nashé Beauty products are all clean, vegan, natural and cruelty-free. Tell me, what were your fears in skincare before reading this article? Has this article given you the clarity you need to create your own skincare routine? Share with us in the comments below.